Friday, August 20, 2010

Harder is Easier

One of the greatest lessons I've learned as a parent is that doing things the hard way often makes life easier in the long run.

I thought of this as I was letting Julio help me load the dryer.


This was severely hampering my progress on the excavation of Laundry Mountain.  But, as tedious as it can be, toddler work leads to real work.  I'm convinced that the more I let him enjoy it now, the more he'll want to do it later.


Besides, I told Diego to leave his lunch plate on the table yesterday because the dishwasher was clean.  When I came back from getting his little brothers dressed, he had emptied the dishwasher and loaded it with all of the dirty dishes.

I'm not sure who was prouder, him or me.

2 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you mean. Please tell Diago who impressed I am with his helping spirit. He and Julio are true gems - they sparkle. Kudos to you for patience now - the laundry mountain is always there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe your kids can inspire mine--they are past the point where they think that helping is fun. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!